Wednesday, April 6, 2011

PSK31

My PSK31 setup
Signalink USB
After an absence of about three years from this mode I am back. The top picture is of my equipment for running digital modes. I had sold my PSK interface, the Navigator, by US Interface because most of the PSK31 contacts I had were from either European or South American hams who wanted nothing more than to swap station information and then go on to the next call. Myself, I like rag-chewing where you can find out about what makes the operator and NOT the equipment tick. Well, I bit the bullet and got an inexpensive interface, the Signalink USB pictured above:
I've made several contacts now, mostly on 40 meters and mostly with hams who want to talk about themselves in addition to what they are running for a station. I just had a most interesting QSO with AB3MG, Derek in Maryland. I was running at about 20 watts power which is about 15 watts more than I am accustomed to running when working in the CW mode. He was running 1 watt of power with his Softrock SDR radio. And the beauty of it was he was 100% copy. PSK31 is becoming a more attractive mode for me!

No comments: